Sunday, April 19, 2009

Settling in

I know I haven't updated this in a while, but I've been busy, ok?

The last two weeks have been fairly uneventful - I've been getting used to working 40-ish hours/week, and otherwise acclimatizing to life in this awe-inspiring city. AC left for Switzerland via Italy last Sunday (i.e. Easter Sunday), and Matt is in Cape Town, so the house I'm in went from overcrowded to quiet and empty in the space of a couple of days; at least I have my own room now!

I've gone out a few times with people from work, which is quite cool - we had drinks on the bank of the Thames last weekend, in a place called Founders Arms, with an awesome view across the river to the North Bank (I work in South Bank). This weekend has been completely uneventful, other than a visit to The Borough Market (http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/), which is one of the biggest and oldest fresh produce markets in London - its built underneath the Thameslink railway bridge. Their website says:
"Borough Market is London's oldest food market. It was established on the south bank of the Thames when the Romans built the first London Bridge. It has occupied its present site for 250 years."
I found it absolutely amazing - think of a fresh ingredient and one of the stalls will have it. I saw scallops, langoustines, shallots, pea aubergines, aubergines the size of summer melons, loads of cheese, seafood and meat shops, not to mention plant shops, hot food stalls of a million different kinds, juicers, speciality mushroom stalls, sweet stalls, bakeries etc. You get the picture. And thousands and thousands of people going about their business amongst the stalls. I bought a mint plant, but i will definitely be going back there for my fresh stuff from now on!

That seems to be about all for now - the days are getting longer fast now, with the sun setting only around 8.30, and its not miserable all the time any more! the sky is in fact, predominantly blue today... woopwoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment